This year for Halloween I attended a party down in the Twin Cities. Since someone had already signed up to make the candy corn layered jello shots I wanted to bring, so I decided to give these Caramel Apple Jello Shots, with REAL apples, a try.
Now, last time I made jello shots with real fruit - it was a disaster. Most of the jello leaked out and the vessels hardly had any room to hold the jello anyways (I was using strawberries in case you're curious).
BUT - I found these Caramel Apple Jello Shots easy to execute and they were inhaled at the party. I've had people hounding me for this recipe since then, so here it is. And make sure to check out the source of this fantastic recipe... That's So Michelle, for even more fun and delicious jello shots.
5 Granny Smith Apples (Med-Large Size)
1 envelope Knox Gelatin
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup coconut milk
2 drops yellow food coloring
1 envelope Land 'O Lakes Caramel Hot Chocolate (powder package)
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup Butterscotch Schnapps
1. Half and hollow out apples with melon baller or small spoon. Baste with lemon juice to avoid browning.
2. Mix 1/2 cup water with the hot chocolate in a medium sized sauce pan. Whisk to make sure it's combined. Add 1/2 cup coconut milk, whisk again.
3. Sprinkle gelatin on top of mixture and let sit to activate gelatin. Turn heat on low/med and mix gelatin in until all combined.
4. Add 1/4 cup sugar and simmer slightly til combined. Add food coloring until you get the desired caramel color. Let mixture cool. Then pour in 1/2 cup of Butterscotch Schnapps.
5. Arrange halved apples on a cookie sheet or in a large tupperware so they fit securely and will not tip over and spill the liquid. Pour your jello mixture into the apple halves and refrigerate overnight.
6. Slice apples halves into smaller slices and serve immediately.